Pat Salber is a board certified Internist and Emergency Physician with for more than 15 years as a physician executive. She has had leadership roles in many different areas of health care including medical groups, health plans, employer groups, and non–profit organizations. She has served as the Chief Medical Officer for a Medicare Advantage plan and the Center for Practical Health Reform. She has founded three companies and served on the boards of a number of other healthcare organizations. She also founded and contributes regularly to a widely syndicated health care blog, http://www.thedoctorweighsin.com/.
Pat consults with a wide variety of organizations, including health plans, wellness companies, and health technology companies with a particular focus on projects that are related to the Triple Aim:
- Improved quality
- Improved health of populations
- Lower costs
Pat is not only a visionary strategist and leader, but she also has years of experience in operations. She knows how to develop strong teams and how to translate good ideas into successful projects.
Pat went to Medical School and trained in Internal Medicine and Endocrinology at the University of California San Francisco. She completed a Pew Fellowship in Health Policy at the same institution. She has an MBA from the University of California Irvine. She was the first woman to serve as President of the California Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians and she went on to serve on the board of the national organization. She founded Physicians for a Violence-Free Society while working full-time as an Emergency Physician at Kaiser Foundation Hospital in San Francisco. She was one of the first physicians to advocate for physician training in the area of Domestic Violence.
Pat has been honored with many awards over the years, including being featured on the cover of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan’s 1997 Annual Report for outstanding contributions to the Program. She serves on the editorial boards of several journals and serves as a peer-reviewer for many others. She is a frequent speaker and author of a book, numerous text book chapters and well as journal articles.
- Principal, PRS Strategic Healthcare Consulting, Larkspur, California
- Chief Medical Officer and Executive Vice President, Universal American, Houston, Texas
- Founder, President and CEO of Acelacare, a chronic illness company
- Chief Medical Officer, The Center for Practical Health Reform
- Senior Medical Director for the Center for Health Improvement, Blue Shield of California
- Medical Director, Kaiser Permanente-General Motors Team, General Motors Corporation, Detroit, Michigan
- Board member, The Leapfrog Group
- Advisory board, Center for Value-based Insurance Design (V*BID), University of Michigan
- Physician Director of National Accounts, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, California
- Assistant Chief, Emergency Department, Kaiser Permanente Hospitals SF and South SF